Special Education Paraprofessional (full-time)
North Star Charter School •Southwest / Boise •Paraprofessional / IA •Primary •Full Time •Posted 17D ago
About this job
NORTH STAR CHARTER SCHOOL JOB OPENING
POSITION: Elementary Special Education Para, 2022-2023 school year
FTE: Full time, M-F
Assist student develop skills in the following domains: cognitive, communication, self-help, social, community, vocational, and leisure/recreational.
Assist students with personal hygiene and in developing self-help grooming skills, as appropriate, such as dressing and undressing, eating, washing, oral care and toileting; assist in changing diapers, as needed; assist students with medication according to established guidelines and procedures.
Lift, move and adjust positioning for non-ambulatory students; Lift students onto changing tables or adapted toilets; assist in loading/unloading of students from buses.
Provide patient and sensitive care/assistance to physically disabled students.
Serve as an escort for students to various locations on school campus supporting gradual shift towards independence and self-advocacy.
Assist students during classroom activities, lunch, physical education periods, and various other activities, as directed. Al development of
Provide individual or small group instruction to student(s) according to established individual education plans as directed by special education teacher.
Instruct student(s) in the use of specially adapted computers, augmentative communications devices, specialized software programs and other similar devices, which assist students with motoric limitations
Support accommodations with student to illustrate manually or with computer assistance to enhance student(s) communication skills striving for student independence.
Assist in programming augmentative devices used by students so student can use independently.
Assist in delivering, setting up, and cleaning computers and devices used in the instructional program.
Assist in maintaining health and safety of severely and physically handicapped students, including the emotionally and physically fragile, by being aware of environment and the potential hazards of student actions.
Assist the teacher in monitoring the students’ progress by collecting data, charting, keeping anecdotal records, etc., as directed by the special education teacher.
Support communication system with teachers, administrators and other support staff, as directed by the special education teacher.
Participate in training as designated by special education supervisor and/or administration.
Assume other duties, as assigned
1. Child guidance principles, especially as they relate to students with physical disabilities
2. Computers and specialized equipment used by student(s) with physical disabilities
3. Understanding of basic subjects taught in Idaho schools, including mathematics, grammar, spelling, language and reading
4. Health and safety regulations and practices
5. Understand and use correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary
6. Proper use and positioning of specialized equipment and apparatus used for severely or physically disabled students
1. Demonstrate skill in the application of special education instructional procedures and practices and in the use of computers and specialized equipment used by pupils with motoric limitations
2. Communicate effectively and maintain cooperative relationships with coworkers and staff
3. Assist with instructional and related activities in a special education learning environment
4. Develop rapport and relate to students with disabilities
5. Perform routine clerical duties such as filing, duplicating and maintaining records for the special education teacher as requested.
6. Understand and follow oral and written direction
7. Utilize interpersonal relations skills using tact, patience and courtesy
8. Work confidentially with discretion; refer questions to special education supervisor.
To apply: Go to www.northstarcharter.org and fill out a classified staff application.
Please email classified application, cover letter and resume to Elementary Principal, Shay Davis firstname.lastname@example.org and Human Resources, Joanna O’Donnell email@example.com
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
North Star Charter School is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.