Part Time Public Relations Position
TETON COUNTY DISTRICT •East Central / Idaho Falls •Administrator •Not Applicable •Part Time •Posted 1M ago
About this job
PUBLIC RELATIONS POSITION
JOB TITLE: Public Relations Position
REPORTS TO: Superintendent
EVALUATED BY: Superintendent
PURPOSE: To communicate information and good news about Teton District 401, such as current programs, student achievement, staff highlights, best practices followed by the district, and updates about important initiatives such as those in the strategic plan.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: High school diploma minimum. Preference may be given to applicants with previous experience and/or college education.
Experience: Strong experience and knowledge of the school district, school board, district strategic plan, school bond and levy efforts, strategies to best communicate using traditional (newspaper, brochures, parent letters, etc.) and digital systems (website, blog, social media platforms, email blasts, etc.).
Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to relate to patrons and students tactfully and to work harmoniously with other district employees and maintain strict confidentiality of personal information. Possess good organizational abilities and skills, and exceptional communication skills. Ability to demonstrate a high degree of competence in typing, filing, and general computer knowledge.
1. Write press releases and OpEd pieces as needed, and suggest other when appropriate
2. Coordinate other media efforts, including distribution of all news to media outlets and district webmaster
3. Post information and other classroom and extracurricular highlights to social media platforms (TSD and school/group Facebook pages, and Instagram account)
4. Run reports and analysis on district social media outreach, report progress to superintendent
5. Periodically present to community groups, city councils, in collaboration with the superintendent, and represent TSD within the community on committees such as the Interagency PIO group, etc.
6. Communicate updates and information to staff, parents and community members
7. Attend monthly school board meetings, provide live streaming capability and public relations feedback to the board, when requested
8. Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Superintendent
9. Supports and adheres to all school district policies
10. Create newspaper and magazine advertising as needed
11. Work with others in the administration team, as required, to handle public relations challenges on a school-by-school basis; this will include promoting school and district-wide programs (like the Kindergarten Roundup, enrollment, and Free and Reduced Meals) and meeting district needs as they evolve, such as FAQs as appropriate.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: This position shall be considered in all respects “employment at will.” The terms and descriptions set forth in this job description shall not create a property right in the employee and such are set forth only to advise the employee of when and what type of services will be required by the District so long as employment continues.
The position will be reviewed by the superintendent and school board
This position may be a part-time employee with benefits, or on a consultant basis, to be negotiated with the superintendent.
An employee working in this position shall at all times be subject to the direction of the person to whom said employee has primary responsibility or said person’s designee(s) and at all times shall be subject to the rules, regulations and policies of the District as promulgated by the Board of Trustees. Each employee shall be held responsible for having knowledge of said school district rules, regulations, and policies which have been reduced to writing and made available to the employee at the building principal’s office and the district-wide administration office.
Period of Employment: 15-20 hours per week (no more than 80 hours per pay-period)
***Some work can be done remotely
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
TETON COUNTY DISTRICT is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.