MS Counselor/MS 504 Support for online school
Idaho Virtual Academy •Online / Remote •Pupil Personnel •Middle •Full Time •Posted 21D ago
About this job
Job Title: MS Counselor/MS 504 Support
Job Type: Full Time
Reports To: Counselor Administrator
SUMMARY: The professional school counselor’s role is to provide support for the school’s comprehensive guidance plan. The counselor helps students and teachers resolve problems that impede student learning. The counselor works with students to help them acknowledge and manage personal conduct, identify goals, and make appropriate choices. The counselor helps develop and implement the school’s college and career program. The counselor works with the teachers to maintain a positive learning experience and encourage parent involvement in the student’s education.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
• Oversees the development and maintenance of student four-year plans, graduation planning, and course placement.
• Completes conferences with students where postsecondary planning, goal setting, and academic progress is reviewed.
• Analyzes student data and targets students for additional opportunities (CTE, Advanced Opportunities, or T2 Interventions).
• Monitors students on track/off track for meeting middle school minimum standards. Assists students as needed with strategies for getting back on track for promotion.
• Helps the academic team address student concerns (e.g., excessive absences, at-risk behavior, mental/physical health, family/peer relationships, etc.).
• Consults with parents, licensed professional counselors, and service agencies as needed in accordance with confidentiality regulations.
• Communicates high expectations and shows an active interest in student progress, which includes checking grades weekly.
• Develops individualized learning plans that support student goals and academic plans (e.g., advanced opportunities, dual enrollment, flexible schedule).
• Communicates clearly, frequently, and accurately with students and parents through varied modalities, such as phone, email, and newsletter.
• Collaboratively reviews student data (e.g., progress toward minimum standard, credit deficiency, grades) and responds in a timely manner with action plans and support.
• Increases professional knowledge and skills by attending required staff meetings; participating in professional development and seeking other professional learning opportunities specific to college and career advising.
• Completes all required 504 meetings (eligibility, annual, manifest determination, three-year eligibility), ensures accommodations are implemented, completes 504 progress monitoring, and ensures compliance with all 504 requirements for middle school students.
• Other duties as assigned.
This position has no formal supervisory responsibilities.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Master’s Degree in Counseling
• Experience working with school-aged youth
• Competence in the techniques to analyze and assess/evaluate the mental health needs of individual students
• Knowledge of behavioral management techniques
• Familiarity with social and emotional learning competencies
• Knowledge of the DSM V
• Knowledge of community resources
Certificates and Licenses:
• Valid State of Idaho license that allows licensee to provide therapy (e.g., LCSW, LCPC, LMFT)
OTHER REQUIRED QUALIFICIATIONS:
• Appropriate supervision to support licensure requirements, if needed
• Access to a private, physical setting
• Excellent communication skills – written and verbal
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Organizational skills, multi-tasking abilities, time management skills
• Customer service focus
• Adaptable and comfortable in a fast-paced work environment
• A positive, productive attitude
• Ability to work independently and efficiently on projects
• Ability to collaborate with colleagues
• Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel; general computer/web proficiency; familiarity entering/retrieving information in a database
• Ability to travel to monthly outings, test proctoring, and school meetings
• Ability to pass required background check
• Three (3) years relevant professional experience
• Virtual work experience
• Previous experience in a school setting
• An ability to learn new technology tools quickly (e.g., database and web-based tools);
Interested and qualified applicants should email his/her resume, letter of introduction and Pupil Services credential to: Mike Groshong, Human Resources Manager at: email@example.com
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• This role will be a home-based position.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
Our school is committed to diversity and inclusion.
See job description
See job description
See job description
* competitive salary
* PERSI Retirement program
* Blue Cross health, dental & vision benefits
* Paid time off - personal days, sick days, breaks and all major holidays
* Use of laptop and 2nd monitor
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Idaho Virtual Academy is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.