EDUCATIONAL INTERPRETER/LANGUAGE MENTOR FOR THE DEAF/HARD OF HEARING
Moscow School District •North Central / Lewiston •Hard of Hearing •Not Applicable •Full Time •Apply no later than 8/20/2021•Posted 1M ago
About this job
STARTING DATE: August 30, 2021
HOURS: 7.25 hours/day
Work under the direction of the Special Education Teacher/Teacher for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing to interpret relevant instructional/conversational information and serve as a language mentor for students who are deaf/hard of hearing.
1. Training and skill in interpreting*American Sign Language/Pidgin Signed English (ASL/PSE). (*Interpreting means the process of providing accessible communication between and among persons who are deaf, hard of hearing or deaf-blind, and those who are hearing. The process includes, but is not limited to, communication between American sign language or other form of manual communication and English. The process may also involve various other modalities that involve visual, gestural and tactile methods.)
2. Knowledge of correct English grammar, ASL grammar, and their equivalences.
3. Must be able to work well with a wide variety of adults and children.
4. Must hold a 3.5 or above on the Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (EIPA) or other national interpreter certification.
1. Willingness to learn and implement use of technology worn by the deaf/hard of hearing student.
2. Training or experience in helping children with special needs.
3. Background in strategies related to language development.
4. Willingness to help staff and student in the understanding and use of ASL/PSE.
5. Knowledge of deaf culture.
6. Graduation from an interpreting training program.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Moscow School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.