2022-23 Substitute Teacher Pool
Caldwell School District •Southwest / Boise •Substitute: Teachers •Not Applicable •Temporary / Seasonal •Posted 8D ago
About this job
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
1. High School Diploma or equivalent. Hiring preference will be given in the following order: (1) applicants with a valid Idaho Education Credential; (2) applicants with a Bachelor's Degree or higher; then (3) applicants with a high school diploma.
2. Ability and willingness to work on short notice.
3. Pass the State Department of Education mandated criminal history/background check.
4. Pay the required fee for the criminal history/background check.
5. Demonstrated interest in young people and education.
6. Evidence of a pleasant, congenial personality with good judgment. Must demonstrate confidentiality, dependability and reliability.
7. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
Reports to: Building Administrator
To provide a positive learning experience and enable each child to pursue his or her education as smoothly and completely as possible in the absence of the regular teacher.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Reports to the building school secretary upon arrival at the school building according to the time specified by the Aesop Substitute Placement System.
2. If necessary, reviews with the building administrator or department head all plans and schedules to be followed during the teaching day.
3. Maintains as fully as possible the established routines and procedures of the school and classroom to which assigned.
4. Teaches the lesson outlined and described in the substitute teacher’s plans as prepared by the absent teacher.
5. Consults as appropriate with the building administrator or department head before initiating any teaching or other procedures not specified in the teacher’s plans.
6. Assumes responsibility for overseeing pupil behavior in class and during recess periods as assigned by the building administrator.
7. Corrects all papers completed during the day (unless otherwise requested by the absent teacher), as time allows, and leave them in a conspicuous place for the teacher.
8. Completes a written report for the absent teacher on the day’s activities at the conclusion of each teaching day.
9. Follows all policies, rules, and procedures to which regular teachers are subject and which good teaching practice dictates.
10. Leaves the room in an orderly condition, with all supplies and equipment returned to proper storage area. All equipment is to be turned off.
11. Performs the regular teacher’s extra duties, if any.
12. Reports any major disciplinary problems to the building administrator.
13. Seeks out opportunities for professional growth.
14. Maintains high standards of ethical behavior and confidentiality of student information.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs all other duties as assigned.
Terms of Employment:
This position shall be considered in all respects “employment at will” and the employee is subject to discharge by the District at any time without cause. The “employment period” and other descriptions and terms set forth in this job description shall not create a property right in the employee, and such are set forth only to advise the employee of when and what type of services will be required by the District so long as employment continues.
An employee working in this position shall, at all times, be subject to the direction of the person(s) to whom said employee has primary responsibility or said person(s)’ designee(s), and at all times shall be subject to the rules, regulations and policies of the District as promulgated by the Board of Trustees. Each employee shall be held responsible for having knowledge of said school district rules, regulations and policies.
Employed on an on-call, as needed basis. Salary pursuant to the Substitute Teacher Salary Schedule.
No formal evaluation, as this is a substitute position only.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, sit, walk, stand, have sufficient hand, arm and finger dexterity; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee may occasionally be required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but can on occasion be loud. The employee may occasionally be exposed to outdoor weather conditions.
All certificated and non-certificated employees and other individual are required to undergo a criminal history check and submit to fingerprinting. Any applicant convicted of any of the felony crimes enumerated in Section 33-1208, Idaho Code may not be hired, and any applicant convicted of any felony offense listed in Section 33-1208(2), Idaho Code shall not be hired.
Legal Reference: I.C. § 33-512 Governance of Schools
I.C. § 33-1210 Information on Past Job Performance
A copy of this job description will be placed in the employee’s personnel file.
Substitute Teacher Pay Rates:
$110 - must have certification (any state, does not need to be current) or STEDI SubDiploma*
$100 - if you are not certified or do not have a STEDI SubDiploma.
$120 - long-term assignment (i.e. filling for a teacher on maternity leave) must have certification or STEDI SubDiploma)*
(Long-term substitutes will be paid the regular daily rate ($110) for the first ten consecutive days. The long-term rate begins on the 11th consecutive day.)
Fingerprinting and Background Checks - All applicants are required to have a background check and pay a reimbursable fee for fingerprinting, $28.25 - please bring cash or a money order payable to the Caldwell School District.
*STEDI SubDiploma Course - All applicants are required to pay a reimbursable registration fee of $29.99 (see below) - you will pay this online upon registering. Upon completion, you will need to submit a copy of your SubDiploma.
ALL reimbursements will be paid in the first pay cycle after you have completed 10 working days, within a pay cycle (and passed the SubDiploma course, if applicable).
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Caldwell School District is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.